HUNDREDS of mp3s benefitting Divalicious Candi Wildlife Habitat at DivaliciousCandi.com/mp3s

HUNDREDS of mp3s benefitting Divalicious Candi Wildlife Habitat at DivaliciousCandi.com/mp3s

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Nightlight by Candice Moraga

Nightlight                by Candice Moraga

Who is there – in the night?
Who is there – when I have a fright?
I cling tightly to my teddy bear
Whenever my dreams lead to a scare
My arm reaches out – I grasp only cold air
I wonder again – Just who is there?
Against my pillow – attempted cuddle
Under layers of blankets, I shiver and huddle
No one to thaw out my frostbitten toes
When I’m lonely at night- whoever knows?
To fill the void, I munch on a snack
Snuggle an imaginary lover’s back
My tummy hurts; I’ve eaten too much
Poor substitute for a gentle touch
Ghosts and scars of yesterday past
Linger, fester, hauntingly last
Trying to keep the demons at bay
I’ve got to express in a positive way
I’ve run, I’ve hidden, blacked out, and ducked
This is no time to self–destruct
I’ve hardened my heart, black as coal
But self–immolation is not my goal
Pick up the pieces, soul twisted and bent
I pray for forgiveness, I humbly repent
For the first time in months, I miss the daylight
Which normally I disdain, and view as too bright